NetGalley Member

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews Reviews Published

Monday, September 3, 2018

Book Review: Lost For Words by Stephanie Butland

5 stars!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


There is no friend as loyal as a book
-Ernest Hemingway

Lost For Words
by Stephanie Butland



My love for books and my hunger for reading have given me a biased appreciation for books that are written about books. Because authors are readers first they understand exactly what books mean and how they need to be treated. Lost For Words is now one of my favorite books about books. This is such a heartwarming story of love and heartbreak. I also want to think that it’s about how books can change lives and give hope.

In this beautiful story we follow Loveday Cardew, a young woman who works at a bookshop where she spends most of her time. Her closest friend is Archie, the owner of the shop who has employed and looked after Loveday for years. Loveday is a quiet woman with minimal social skills who keeps to herself. Her work is her haven and she also gets to meet different people with different tastes in books. As we get to know more about Loveday we begin to understand why she is who she is, why her love for books and why she appears to be completely alone.  

A good book leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment because even though your only job is to read the story, you have invested your time in the characters, you’ve cried with them and laughed right along. Seeing the characters change and become who they’re supposed to be is one of the best feelings in the world, especially if you can relate to them.  

One of the things I enjoy about this book is the progress and process in which we learn about Loveday and her past. Stephanie Butland has created a set of characters that are difficult to forget. As Stephen King once said, “Good books don't give up all their secrets at once.” Lost For Words is the perfect example and I love that!

In my opinion, if an author can make you relate to a character in a book then she has done an outstanding job. Like Loveday, I love books and books have changed my life for the better. They have given me comfort when I feel anxious and have helped to meet other who lime me love and cherish books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top Ten Books of 2019

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King ˰˰˰ My Top Ten Books of 2019 By Sofie Hern It's that time of...