NetGalley Member

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews Reviews Published

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

ARC Review - Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton

5 ✩✩✩✩✩

“You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world.” 

― Woodrow Wilson






Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Release date: May 22, 2018
Genre: YA


I was given the opportunity by Disney-Hyperion to read this ARC and in all honesty I am not sure why I requested it. I read the description but I was not at all sure what to expect. Normally I am not a YA reader, unless I get recommendations by my fellow readers or I read a specific author. The reason being is that I feel every YA book is pretty much a repeat of the previous. Now, don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy a good story about the struggles of being a teenager and surviving the High School years. I am however, a bit put out by the stereotypical aspects. The partying and illegal under-age drinking and irresponsible parents who dare leave a teenage son alone at home and in a way allowing them to do those ‘typical’ things teenagers do. This is what I feared I’d get in Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe. I was wrong!



The story follows Cliff, a sixteen-year-old high school student at Happy Valley High School in Happy Valley Montana. Cliff is a loner and at 6’6” and 250lbs he can’t really try to blend with the crowd. He lives in a trailer park with his mother and drunken father. He is struggling with the death of his brother, Shane, who committed suicide. Cliff is trying to understand why his brother did what he did and to make sense of it all. 



Aaron Zimmerman is the High School jock. The quarterback of the football team and as cool, handsome and popular as you can imagine. As Cliff sits alone at lunch time he is surprised when Aaron sits with him and tells him that he needs Cliff’s help with a list. Aaron claims he has a list given to him by God. This list was made as a guide to help make Happy Valley High a better place.
  
Cliff is skeptical at first but then makes this his sole purpose. Together they set out to change the world! Or at least to change HVHS. Maybe it will help Cliff figure out why his brother did what he did. 

If you take The Breakfast Club, add a bit of Lucas to it and sprinkle it with The Perks of Being a Wallflower, you get Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe! Preston Norton has created a wonderful story of friendship, grief, family and the power we possess to change the world. He tackles the difficult subject of suicide in a subtle way within the story. The characters are quirky and funny. The dialogue and narrative an absolute hit! Each character is memorable and relatable. Cliff is a gentle giant and you will fall in love with him from the very beginning. The supporting characters help develop the story and they grow as the story develops. 

I do think the book is a bit long for a YA but the way it is written makes up for it! I was laughing out loud and crying and cheering!  Norton’s voice is amazing! It was quite a refreshing story.


Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Professional Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top Ten Books of 2019

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King ˰˰˰ My Top Ten Books of 2019 By Sofie Hern It's that time of...