NetGalley Member

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews Reviews Published

Sunday, May 12, 2019

Book Review - The Rumour by Lesley Kara

“Truth travels by bike, rumors travel by plane.” 
― Eraldo Banovac

∼∼∼

Expected publication: July 9th 2019 by Ballantine Books





∼∼∼


I am starting a new rating system which will be broken down into three categories. These are the categories I will use to rate this book:

Plot 9/10
Narrative 8/10
Twists 9/10

When I read the synopsis I immediately hit the request button in NetGalley. I was intrigued by the title because, lets’ be honest, who has not heard a juicy rumor in their lives and it just kept spreading and growing? I enjoy books that are relatable and that have an element of possibility, of it happening in real life. Which is why I enjoyed this one so much.

Joanna has moved back to her hometown to start a new life as a single mother of 6 year old Alfie. The rumor begins one morning at school drop off when one of the moms tells a few others that a notorious child killer is living in their town. No one knows who it might be and speculation begins. Determined to fit in and in an attempt to help Alfie make friends, Joanna feels that by repeating the rumor, she will soon be part of the circle. Soon Joanna becomes obsessed with the case of the child killer while the town is in uproar at the thought of a killer living among them.

This book had me feeling quite confident about whom I thought the child killer might be. It then took a turn that made me change my mind only to have that new idea change again! You will assume and think you have this figured out but I will tell you that the twists in this book will leave you disoriented!  

This book is a perfect example of what happens when a rumor gets rolling. How it affects lives and the power it has to destroy them. Set in a side town with your typical small community vibe where everyone knows everyone else –or they think they do. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat. It is addicting and intriguing.

If you enjoyed Big Little Lies and love a good thriller, this one is for you.
This book gets 26 out of 30 possible marks. Very much recommend.

The Rumor by Lesley Kara
Expected pub date: July 9th 2019

By Ballantine Books
ASIN B07KDWF475


You can find us on Facebook!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top Ten Books of 2019

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King ˰˰˰ My Top Ten Books of 2019 By Sofie Hern It's that time of...