NetGalley Member

Professional Reader 80% 25 Book Reviews Reviews Published

Monday, January 15, 2018

ARC Review - Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella

4.5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭑

“The secret to humor is surprise.”  
― Aristotle

-



I was eager to read this one after reading My Not So Perfect Life, and was ecstatic when NetGalley and Random House granted my request for this ARC! As of right now, Sophie Kinsella has become my go-to author when I need a pick-me-up. Surprise Me has a bit of everything and was exactly what I have come to expect from this author. 

The book gets your attention from the very first page and it holds on to you with a relentless grip all the way though. The story follows Sylvie and her husband Dan who are happily married with two beautiful five-year-old twin girls. When faced with the reality of just how long their marriage might last, Sylvie wants to create fun ways to spice up their marriage. She comes up with an ingenious idea and creates Project Surprise Me. Reluctantly, Dan agrees to give her idea a try and this is when we are taken on an amazing ride! 

What starts out as innocent fun soon turns into a fiasco. Small surprises turn into unbelievable ones and Sophie Kinsella has managed to keep the reader engaged. When you begin to feel the emotions, the anxieties, hopes and pains of the characters then you know the writing is on another level. This book made me laugh, think, cry and cheer from start to finish. 

One of the things I enjoy about Kinsella’s writing is her creation of realistic and relatable characters. The way she develops each character is outstanding. I truly enjoy a book that allows the characters to grow and change, become better and find themselves.

As I mentioned above, this book has a bit of everything. There will be moments when you will laugh until you cry then suddenly the story takes a turn and breaks your heart. You will ride a roller-coaster of emotions that will leave you wanting more. 


Please follow me on Twitter and visit me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top Ten Books of 2019

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” -Stephen King ˰˰˰ My Top Ten Books of 2019 By Sofie Hern It's that time of...